The Field Course Scholarship recognizes outstanding undergraduate majors within the Department of Geological Sciences by providing supplementary funds for the summer field course. This scholarship is supported through the generous donations by friends and colleagues of the department and the Geological Science Advisory Board.
This scholarship is competitive and merit-based and applicants will be evaluated using academic performance metrics, including
- grade point average (in the major)
- faculty endorsement
- undergraduate research efforts
- activity in the discipline beyond coursework alone (i.e. presentations, paper contributions, departmental service, etc.)
Funds between $500 and $1,000 will be awarded up to four students per summer. The number of awards will depend upon the number and quality of applications received.
Complete the Field Course Scholarship Application form and provide the following materials:
- written statement (one paragraph) that answers the question “Why are you a geology major and, specifically, what career path(s) do you envision pursuing after graduation?”
- at least one endorsement from a faculty member in the Department of Geological Sciences
- descriptions of any supporting activities that demonstrate exceptional commitment to geological sciences, such as presentations, paper contributions, and departmental service (i.e., not coursework)
Submit materials to the Department of Geological Sciences office.