MEarthSc, Earth Sciences, The University of Oxford, 2006
PhD, Isotope Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry, The University of Manchester, 2010
Max Planck Institute for Chemistry – Cosmochemistry Group, Biogeochemistry Department. 03/2010 – 09/2012
California Institute of Technology, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences. 09/2012 – 11/2014
Arizona State University – Center for Meteorite Studies, School of Earth and Space Exploration. 11/2014 – 12/2016
Courses TaughtJan 2017
GEO 424-006 & 525-015 - Planetary Geochemistry
GEO 101-007 - The Dynamic Earth
Curriculum VitaeDownload File
I am interested in the study of meteorites to better understand the formation and evolution of our Solar System. My research approach is to use noble gases, halogens and chronometry of extra-terrestrial materials as tools to help us better understand the timescales and processes involved in planetary body formation and evolution. My two current research areas include:
- The chronometry of ancient materials and planetary regoliths, with an aim to contribute to solving important scientific questions such as: When did planetary differentiation occur in the asteroid belt? When were the major impact events in the inner Solar System, and did all bodies experience the same history? Can we characterise and identify regolithic meteoritic materials? Can secondary processes like weathering be quantitatively constrained?
- The structures and compositions of ancient materials from undifferentiated meteorites, to help determine when the first solids in the Solar System formed, and to determine what processes led to their formation.
Keywords: Planetary Science, Cosmochemistry, Noble Gases, Halogens, Meteorites, Mars, Chondrites, The Asteroid Belt, Chronology.
Current Research Projects
I am new faculty at UA (Jan 2017), and I am looking for motivated students with an interest in planetary science and cosmochemistry to pursue topics in noble gases and chronology, as well as compositional studies of meteorites. Do contact me if you’re interested in pursuing a masters or PhD program in my group!
Cartwright Cosmochemistry Laboratory (CCL)
- Rampe, E.B., Cartwright, J.A., McCubbin, F.M., Osterloo, M.M. The Role of Halogens During Fluid and Magmatic Processes on Mars. (In press). The Role of Halogens in Terrestrial and Extraterrestrial Geochemical Processes (Book). Springer.
- Cartwright J.A. Noble Gas Chemistry of Planetary Materials. (2015). Planetary Mineralogy (Book); EMU Notes in Mineraology, 15:165-212.
- Cartwright J.A., Ott U. and Mittlefehldt D.W. (2014) The quest for regolithic howardites. Part 2: Surface origins highlighted by noble gases. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 140:488-508.
- Cartwright J.A., Ott, U., Hermann, Agee, C.B. (2014) Modern atmospheric signatures in 4.4 Ga Martian meteorite NWA 7034. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 400:77-87.
- Mittlefehldt D.W., Herrin J.S., Quinn J.E., Mertzman S.A., Cartwright J.A., Mertzman K.R., and Peng, Z.X. (2013) Composition and petrology of HED polymict breccias: The regolith of (4) Vesta. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 48:2105-2134.
- Farley, K.A., Hurowitz, J.A., Asimow, P.D., Jacobson, N.S., and Cartwright, J.A. (2013). A double-spike method for K–Ar measurement: A technique for high precision in situ dating on Mars and other planetary surfaces: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 110:1-12.
- Cartwright, J.A., Ott, U., Mittlefehldt, D.W., Herrin, J.S., Hermann, S., Mertzman, S.A., Mertzman, K.R., Peng, Z.X., and Quinn, J.E. (2013) The quest for regolithic howardites. Part 1: Two trends uncovered using noble gases: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 105:395-421.
- Cartwright, J.A., Gilmour, J.D., and Burgess, R. (2013) Martian fluid and Martian weathering signatures identified in Nakhla, NWA 998 and MIL 03346 by halogen and noble gas analysis: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 105:255-293.
- Llorca, J., Roszjar, J., Cartwright, J.A., Bischoff, A., Ott, U., Pack, A., Merchel, S., Rugel, G., Fimiani, L., Ludwig, P., Casado, J.V., and Allepuz, D. (2013) The Ksar Ghilane 002 shergottite—The 100th registered Martian meteorite fragment: Meteoritics & Planetary Science 48:493-513.
- Cartwright J.A., Ocker K. D., Crowther S.A., Burgess R., and Gilmour J.D. (2010) Terrestrial and Martian weathering signatures of xenon components in shergottite mineral separates. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:1359-1379.
Selected Recent Conference Abstracts:
- Hodges, K.V., van Soest, M.C., Mercer, C.M., Cartwright, J.A., Horne, A.G., Brunner, A.E., McDonald, C.S. and Schoene, B. (2016) The Persistent Challenge of Accurately and Precisely Dating Impact Events. 128th Geological Society of America Meeting: (#144-6).
- Cartwright, J.A.*, Amelin Y., Koefoed P. and Wadhwa M. (2016) U-Pb age of the Ungrouped Achondrite NWA 8486. 79th Meteoricial Society Meeting (#6231). *Oral presentation.
- Cartwright, J.A.*, Hodges K.V., Wadhwa M. and Mittlefehldt D.W. (2016) Dating Howardite Melt Clasts: Evidence for an Extended Vestan Bombardment? 47th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference: (#2865). *Poster presentation.