Post-Doctoral Position in Environmental Remote Sensing at University of Alabama

The University of Alabama (UA) is excited to announce the availability of a post-doctoral position in environmental remote sensing. This position is a part of the USGS-funded research project “Advancing Water Quality Monitoring and Prediction Capability of USGS NGWOS Program with Satellite and Drone Remote Sensing Technologies”, conducted under the auspices of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Research to Operations in Hydrology (CIROH). CIROH works closely with the NOAA National Water Center and the USGS Hydrological Instrumentation Facility, both located at UA’s Tuscaloosa campus. The project is spearheaded by Dr. Hongxing Liu, Dr. Sagy Cohen, and Dr. Yuehan Lu at UA, in collaboration with experts from the University of Vermont and Louisiana State University.

The appointed post-doctoral researcher will join the Environmental Remote Sensing Laboratory at UA. The primary responsibilities, constituting 90% of the role, include conducting field work for in-situ data collection, processing remote sensing data, developing algorithms and models, and implementing software tools. The remaining 10% of the duties involve assisting in lab management, mentoring graduate students, contributing to peer-reviewed publications, and participating in grant proposal development.

We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a PhD in Geography, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, or a related discipline. Ideal candidates will have a background in remote sensing and water studies, with strong skills in algorithm development, machine learning, geospatial modeling, and computer programming.

Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a minimum of two references through our application portal at

Please include any supplementary documents under the “other documents” section. The application deadline is December 8, 2023; however, the search will remain open until the position is filled.

This three-year position offers a competitive annual salary range of $60,000 to $65,000, along with 17% fringe benefits, health insurance, and various professional development opportunities.

For additional information, please reach out to Dr. Hongxing Liu at