The Geological Sciences Advisory Board Student Scholarship Fund was established to support high-quality geological sciences students at The University of Alabama. Funding for these awards is provided by the Geological Sciences Advisory Board (GSAB), a group of distinguished alumni and friends who play an active role in the advancement of the department.
Scholarships are awarded to outstanding graduate applicants who will pursue activities directly in support of thesis or dissertation during the summer.
Criteria and Requirements
- The summer GSAB scholarship is strictly competitive. Successful applicants will have a demonstrated record of pursuing external fellowships/grants/scholarships and completing graduate benchmarks on time.
- Additional criteria include service to the Department of Geological Sciences/UA and the scientific community, publications, and conference presentations. MS and PhD applicants are considered separately.
- Previous recipients from a specific degree program of GSAB summer scholarships are ineligible. However, a student may receive separate GSAB summer scholarships for separate MS and PhD programs.
- Scholarship recipients must agree to present at Department of Geological Sciences functions if requested by the department (associated travel expenses will be borne by the department).
- Scholarship recipients must also agree to forego teaching assistant appointments, internships, or other employment. However, supplemental research assistant funding in support of the thesis or dissertation is allowed.
- Once awarded, the funds will be posted directly to the student’s account. The student must submit a one-page report describing how the awarded funds have been used as well as a “proof receipt” to the Department of Geological Sciences Fellowship and Scholarship Committee.
The Department of Geological Sciences Fellowship and Scholarship Committee typically solicits scholarship applications at the end of the spring semester (March-April).
A complete application includes (i) the GSAB Scholarship cover page and (ii) the student’s curriculum vitae. The application package should be submitted to the chair of the DGS Fellowship and Scholarship Committee, Dr. Alberto Perez-Huerta.
If you have more questions concerning this scholarship, please contact Dr. Alberto Perez-Huerta (email@example.com).