- PhD, Geological Sciences, Arizona State University, 2009
- BA, Philosophy, University of South Florida, 2003; BS, Physics, University of South Florida, 2003; BS, Geology, University of South Florida, 2003
- High-Temperature Geochemistry and Petrology
- Geophysics, Tectonics, and Structural Geology
Current Research Projects
I am currently funded by the National Science Foundation through a CAREER grant (EAR1553878) to explore the effects of volcanic lightning on both natural and manufactured volcanic ash samples through a series of lightning experiments. We also examine evidence of lightning in ashfall deposits from explosive volcanic eruptions and examine the properties of volcanic ash that may contribute to lightning generation.
- GEO 502/602 Communicating Geology
- GEO 495: Field Course
- GEO 314: Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology
- GEO 416/516: Volcanology
- GEO 424/525: SEM Methods in Geology
- Woods, T. W., Genareau, K., and Klüss, J. (2021), Alteration of volcanic ash glass chemistry due to lightning. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 107340.
- Schultz, C.J., Andrews, V.P., Genareau, K., and Naeger, A.R. (2020), Observations of lightning in relation to transitions in volcanic activity during the 3 June 2018 Fuego Eruption. Scientific Reports, 10(1), 1-12.
- Genareau, K., Gharghabi, P., Klüss, J. (2020), Influence of shock propagation on lightning evidence in volcanic ashfall deposits. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 535, 116124.
- Woods, T. W., Genareau, K., and Wallace, K. L. (2020), Influence of grain size and shape on volcanic ash electrical conductivity. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 106788.
- Genareau, K., Perez-Huerta, A. Laiginhas, F. (2019), Atom Probe Tomography Analysis of Exsolved Mineral Phases. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 152.
- Genareau, K., Hong, Y.-K., Lee, W., Choi, M., Rostaghi-Chalaki, M., Gharghabi, P., Gafford, J., Klüss, J. (2019), Effects of Lightning on the Magnetic Properties of Volcanic Ash. Scientific Reports, 9, 1-11, doi:10.1038/s41598-019-41265-3.
- Genareau, K., Wallace, K.L., Gharghabi, P. and Gafford, J. (2019), Lightning Effects on the Grain Size Distribution of Volcanic Ash. Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1029/2018GL081298.
- Genareau, K., Cloer, S., Primm, K., Tolbert, M. and Woods, T. (2018), Compositional and Mineralogical Effects on Ice Nucleation Activity of Volcanic Ash. Atmosphere, 9(7), 238, doi:10.3390/atmos9070238.
- Genareau, K., Gharghabi, P., Gafford, J. and Mazzola, M. (2017), The elusive evidence of volcanic lightning. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 15508, doi:10.1038/s41598-017-15643-8.
- Wadsworth, F.B., Vasseur, J., Llewellin, E.W., Genareau, K., Cimarelli, C. and Dingwell, D.B. (2017), Size limits for rounding of volcanic ash particles heated by lightning. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 122(3), 1977-1989, doi:10.1002/2016JB013864.
- Schill, G., Genareau, K., and Tolbert, M. (2015), Deposition and Immersion Mode Nucleation of Ice by Three Distinct Samples of Volcanic Ash Using Raman Spectroscopy. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 15, 7523-7536, doi:10.5194/acp-15-7523-2015, 2015.
- Genareau, K., Wardman, J.B., Wilson, T.M., McNutt, S.R., and Izbekov, P. (2015), Lightning-induced volcanic spherules. Geology, 43(4), 319-322, doi:10.1130/G36255.1.