- PhD, The University of Kansas, 2007
- MS (Equivalent), University of Ferrara, Italy, 1999
- BS, University of Ferrara, Italy, 1997
- Marine Geology & Geophysics
- Paleontology, Paleoclimatology, and Paleoecology
- Carbonates in Energy Exploration (GEO 525)
- The Earth Through Time (GEO 102)
My main research interest revolves around marine and non-marine sedimentary basins, the sedimentary and diagenetic evolution of carbonate systems, and mixed carbonate-clastic systems, and the development of quantitative models and workflows to identify and characterize these systems from 2D and 3D seismic data. Much of my research focuses on unraveling and quantifying the various mechanisms that impact the occurrence, evolution, and demise of carbonate platforms and reefs and the application of conceptual models to the exploration for hydrocarbon reservoirs. Areas of particular interest include the Jurassic Smackover play in the Gulf of Mexico, the South-Atlantic pre-salt carbonate play, the Permo-Triassic carbonates in south China, and the Mesozoic-Cenozoic carbonates in Italy.
Current Research Projects
I am searching for motivated students with a passion in sedimentology, stratigraphy, diagenesis, and basin analysis to tackle some of our outstanding questions on carbonate systems as archives of Earth’s chemical and biological history and important targets in energy exploration. Contact me if this is you!
- Center for Sedimentary Basin Studies
- Petroleum Geology Research Group
- LEHRMANN, D.J., BENTZ, J.M., WOOD, T., GOERS, A., DHILLON, R., AKIN, S., LI, X., PAYNE, J.L., KELLEY, B., MEYER, K.M., SCHAAL, E.K., SUAREZ, M.B., YU, M., QIN, Y., LI, R., MINZONI, Marcello, and HENDERSON, C.M., 2015, Permian-Triassic microbialite and dissolution surface environmental controls on the genesis of marine microbialites and dissolution surface associated with the end-Permian mass extinction: new sections and observations from the Nanpanjiang Basin, south China, PALAIOS, v. 30, no. 7, p. 529-552.
- Minzoni, Marcello, Lehrmann, D.J., Dezoeten, E., Enos, P., Montgomery, p., berry, a., qin, y., yu, m., ellwood, b., and Payne, J.l., 2015, Drowning of the Yangtze Platform, south China, by tectonic subsidence into toxic deep waters of an anoxic basin, Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 85, no. 5, p. 419-444.
- LEHRMANN, D.J., BENTZ, J.M., WOOD, T., GOERS, A., DHILLON, R., AKIN, S., LI, X., KELLEY, B., MEYER, K.M., SCHAAL, E.K., PAYNE, J.L., SUAREZ, M.B., YU, M., QIN, Y., LI, R., MINZONI, Marcello, and HENDERSON, C.M., 2015, Environmental controls on the genesis of marine microbialites and dissolution surface associated with the end-Permian mass extinction: new sections and observations from the Nanpanjiang Basin, south China, PALAIOS, v. 30, no. 7, p. 529-552.
- Lehrmann, D.J., Stepchinski, L., Altiner, D., Orchard, M.J., Montgomery, P., Enos, P., Ellwood, B.B., Bowring, S.A., Ramezani, J., Wang, H., Wei, J., Yu, M., Griffiths, J.D., Minzoni, Marcello, Schaal, E.K., Li, X., Meyer, K.M., and Payne, J.L., 2015, An integrated biostratigraphy (conodonts and foraminifers) and chronostratigraphy (paleomagnetic reversals, magnetic susceptibility, elemental chemistry, carbon isotopes and geochronology) for the Permian-Upper Triassic strata of Guandao section, Nanpanjiang Basin, south China, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, v. 108, p. 117-135.
- Lehrmann, D.J., Chaikin, D. H., Enos, P., Minzoni, Marcello, Payne, J.L., Yu, M., Richter, P., Goers, A., Wood, T., Kelley, B., Li, X., Qin, Y., Liu, L., Lu, G., 2014, Basin-filling patterns of Triassic turbidites in the Nanpanjiang Basin of south China: implications for tectonics and impacts on carbonate platform evolution, Basin Research, doi: 10.1111/bre.12090
- Minzoni, Marcello, Lehrmann, D.J., Payne, J., Enos, P., Yu, M., Wei, J., Kelley, B., Li, X., Schaal, E., Meyer, K., Montgomery, P., Goers, A., and Wood, T., 2013, Triassic Tank: Platform Margin and Slope Architecture in Space and Time, Nanpanjiang Basin, south China, in Verwer, T.E. Playton and P.M. Harris (eds.) Deposits, Architecture and Controls of Carbonate Margin, Slope and Basinal Settings, Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) Special Publication no. 105, p. 84-113
- BURGESS, P., WINEFIELD, P., MINZONI, Marcello, and ELDERS, C., 2013, Methods for Identification of Isolated Carbonate Build-Ups from Seismic Reflection Data, submitted to American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 97, p. 1071-1098.
- LEHRMANN, D.J., MINZONI, Marcello, LI, X., YU, M., PAYNE, J.L, KELLEY, B.M., SCHAAL, E.K., and ENOS, P., 2012, Lower Triassic Oolites of the Nanpanjiang Basin, South China: Facies Architecture, Giant Ooids and Diagenesis; Implications for Hydrocarbon Reservoirs, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 96, p. 1389-1414.
- LI, X., LEHRMANN, D.J., YU. M., PAYNE, J., KELLEY, B., and MINZONI, Marcello, 2012, Factors Controlling Carbonate Platform Asymmetry: Preliminary Results from the Great Bank of Guizhou, an Isolated Permian-Triassic Platform in the Nanpanjiang Basin, South China, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 316, p. 158-171.
- Lehrmann, D.J., Pei, D., Enos, P., Minzoni, Marcello, Ellwood, B.B., Orchard, M.J., Zhang, J., Jiayong, Wei, Dillett, P., Koenig, J., Steffen, K., Druke, D., Druke, J., Kessel, B., and Newkirk, T., 2007, Impact of differential tectonic subsidence on isolated carbonate-platform evolution, Triassic of the Nanpanjiang Basin, south China, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 91, no. 3, p. 287-320.