- Ph.D., Geology and Geophysics, The University of California, Santa Cruz, 2007
- M.S., Geology and Geophysics, The University of Wisconsin, 2002
- B.S., Geological Engineering, The University of Wisconsin, 2000
- Geophysics, Tectonics, and Structural Geology
My research is driven by the underlying goal to advance our understanding of fundamental geodynamic processes, such as volcanism, mountain building, continental rifting, and craton formation. To this end, I employ a wide range of geological and geophysical tools emphasizing earthquake seismology, active tectonics, and the analysis of seismic data to investigate structure and to infer associated Earth processes. Past and current research projects have focused on a variety of different geographic locations including Hawaii, Costa Rica, Saudi Arabia, Africa, Greece, and Antarctica. I have also recently expanded my research to investigate deep Earth structure, particularly ultra-low velocity zones along the core-mantle boundary.
Research Group Members
- Hesam Saeidi, Ph.D.
- Long Ho, Ph.D.
- Kayode Agboola, M.S.
- Ashish Kumar, M.S. (graduated: June 2021)
- Sarah Carson, M.S. (graduated: December 2018)
- Jordan Graw, Ph.D. (graduated: May 2017)
- Greg Brenn, M.S. (graduated: December 2016)
- Lindsey Kenyon, M.S. (graduated: December 2014)
- GEO 101: The Dynamic Earth
- GEO 369: Introduction Geophysics
- GEO 407/507: Seismology
- GEO 435/535/635: Honors and Graduate Seminar in Geology
- GEO 542: Geodynamics
See CV at https://shansen.people.ua.edu/ for a full list of publications
- S.E. Hansen, S.E. Carson, E.J. Garnero, S. Rost, and S. Yu, Investigating Ultra-low Velocity Zones in the Southern Hemisphere using an Antarctic Dataset, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 536, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2020.116142, 2020. Hansen_etal_EPSL_2020.pdf
- S.E. Hansen, C.P. Evangelidis, and G.A. Papadopoulos, Imaging Slab Detachment within the Western Hellenic Subduction Zone, Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., 20, 895-912, doi: 10.1029/2018GC007810, 2019. Hansen_etal_Gcubed_2019.pdf
- Brenn, G.R., S.E. Hansen, and Y. Park, Variable thermal loading and uplift along the Transantarctic Mountains, Antarctica, Geology, 45, doi: 10.1130/G38784.1, 2017. Brenn_etal_Geology_2017.pdf (458 downloads)
- Graw, J.H., S.E. Hansen, C. Langston, B. Young, A. Mostafanejad, and Y. Park, Assessment of Crustal and Upper Mantle Velocity Structure by Removing the effect of an ice layer on the P-wave response: An application to Antarctic seismic studies, BSSA, 107, doi: 10.1785/0120160262, 2017. Graw_etal_BSSA_2017.pdf (425 downloads)
- Graw, J.H. and S.E. Hansen, Upper Mantle Seismic Anisotropy Beneath the Northern Transantarctic Mountains, Antarctica from PKS, SKS, and SKKS Splitting Analysis, Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., 18, doi: 10.1002/2016GC006729, 2017. Graw_Hansen_G-cubed_2017.pdf (496 downloads)
- Graw, J.H., A.N. Adams, S.E. Hansen, D.A. Wiens, L. Hackworth, and Y. Park, Upper mantle shear wave velocity structure beneath northern Victoria Land, Antarctica: Volcanism and uplift in the northern Transantarctic Mountains, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 449, 48-60, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.05.026, 2016. Graw_etal_2016.pdf (676 downloads)
- Hansen, S.E., L.M. Kenyon, J.H. Graw, Y. Park, and A.A. Nyblade, Crustal Structure beneath the Northern Transantarctic Mountains and Wilkes Subglacial Basin: Implications for Tectonic Origins, J. Geophys. Res., 121, 812-825, doi: 10.1002/2015/JB012325, 2016. SHansen_JGR_2016.pdf (477 downloads)
- Ramirez, C., A.A. Nyblade, S.E. Hansen, D.A. Wiens, S. Anandakrishnan, R.C. Aster, A.D. Huerta, P.J. Shore, and T. Wilson, Crustal and Upper Mantle Structure beneath Ice-Covered Regions in Antarctica from S-wave Receiver Functions and Implications for Heat Flow, Geophys. J. Int., 204, 1636-1648, doi: 10.1093/gji/ggv542, 2016. Ramirez_GJI_2016.pdf (501 downloads)
- Hansen, S.E., A. Reusch, T. Parker, D. Bloomquist, P. Carpenter, J.H. Graw, and G.R. Brenn, The Transantarctic Mountains Northern Network (TAMNNET): Deployment and Performance of a Seismic Array in Antarctica, Seism. Res. Lett., 86, 1636-1644, doi: 10.1785/0220150117, 2015. SHansen_SRL_2015.pdf (502 downloads)